Plate 12. Stephen C. Lewis, the builder and physician in charge, described the new American Presbyterian Mission hospital at Changzhou 长州 in Hunan as the “first hospital of foreign construction in the southern half of Hunan.” The accompanying photograph of a two-storey brick building with (possibly concrete) pillars supporting a Chinese-style tiled overhanging roof covering a verandah, tells a slightly different story. Some of the materials may have been foreign but the style certainly wasn’t.
Source: Stephen C Lewis,. “Opening of the American Presbyterian Hospital at Chenchow, Hunan.” CMMJ 22, no. 4 (1908): 256.